9.06.2009

Semiotics in relation to my logo creation...

Since starting the process of creating logos, the idea of semiotics has made more sense to me than it previously did. It made sense before but I am beginning to piece all the parts of it together in a better (more complex) and different way.

Through the process that I went through to arrive at a conclusive image for my logo, I used many principles of semiotics. The overall idea of semiotics, which is the study of signs and the production of meaning, was a large piece of the creative idea. I first thought of an idea or object and from that thought of recognizable images that could relate to them. By doing this I was then led to semantics. I had to come up with a relation between the signs that I was coming up with and be sure that they really did signify the idea(s) or object(s) that I was referring to. Once I had done that, I began to notice similar traits in line and shape quality that the images created together, and also how two different ideas or objects could come together to create a recognizable logo without being static or confusing; syntactic. Significance also played a part in that process because I had to then become the “viewer” of the logo rather than the “creator”. I knew what I was creating but would what I was creating get my idea(s) across to the viewer? I also had to consider the logo as being a connotation or denotation. In other words, would it mean, or stand for, something directly (denotation) or just suggest or imply an idea rather than have a literal meaning (connotation). After working through several ideas for my first logo I feel that I successfully observed and applied the many concepts and ideas that make up semiotics.

1 comment:

  1. Good, I like how you used your logo process to help explain semiotics.

    ReplyDelete